First prison of the so-called \"cellular\"" system built in Belgium according to the Ducpétiaux model. Building work carried out by the contractor Gaudinne started in 1849. The prison was inaugurated on 1st July 1853.At the beginning, the total area of 31.50 ca. was brought back to 27.40 ca. in the early 20th century due to a right-of-way on the Meuse side to develop a boulevard. Around two-thirds of the land are built and the remaining third is composed of two side yards accessible through a carriage gate and of a kitchen garden surrounding the cellular. The northern face of the building features a two-storey main building with a stepped gable, flanked by octagonal towers topped by sharp spires. Corbelled turrets stand out at the corners of the crenellated walls. The wooden double-door entrance opens right in the central axis of the building. This entrance door is flanked on both sides by a massive stone column and topped by a stone engraved with the words \""Remand prison\""."