The cellular remand prison was built by the contractor Alexandre Léanne on the former property of the Capuchin Friars. The plans were designed by architect Vierset-Godin. The institution was inaugurated in 1871. The remand prison was designed to contain 60 prisoners (42 men and 18 women).In the early hours of 31 December 1943, a commando composed of about 20 armed Resistance fighters stormed the prison to deliver Resistance fighters, including 7 men under sentence of death who had to be executed by the Germans the day after.In 1945, the prison accommodated many political offenders: unworthy citizens, prisoners of war...From 1955 to 1975, the prison became an observation centre aimed at orienting offenders to the \"centre pénitentiaire école\"" (penitentiary educational centre) of Marneffe, referred to as a \""model prison\"", providing an open regime. Prisoners were monitored in this centre with a view to their transfer to the institution corresponding to their needs."