Rue Fr. Vandamme 172 , 6120, Jamioulx, Belgium
Status of Establishment
The prison of Jamioulx is the first modern prison built after the Second World War 1940-1945. In 1958, the plans of the prison of Jamioulx were displayed in Brussels during the International Exhibition. It was only in 1975 that the prison opened its doors and succeeded the dilapidated prison of Charleroi. The 100 prisoners detained there were transferred to Jamioulx within a few days.In 1984, however, the presence of asbestos was detected in some premises. Within one week, all the prisoners and staff members were transferred to other institutions in the country.Besides the undertaking of important asbestos removal operation, the closing period made it also possible to carry out renovation works in 5 out of 9 sections of the building. The premature reopening (in February 1986) is due to the general overpopulation phenomenon, which already at that time had impacted Belgian prisons.In 2005, as a precautionary measure, it was decided to undertake a second asbestos removal operation in the prison. The work, which started at the end of 2005, was interrupted several times again due to overpopulation.Major renovation works and the creation of new spaces are planned in the years to come.