South Qtr. 4 Al. Stambolijski str. , 4004, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Status of Establishment
Plovdiv Prison was established immediately after the liberation of Bulgaria from Turkish slavery. It was located near today’s park – Hotel “St. Petersburg” / northern region /. Until 1954 there was also a women’s ward.
In the period 1960 – 1963 the prison was moved to its current location, where it was built on land expropriated under the Large Urban Real Estate Act. Initially, the building was built with the idea of being used as a prison hostel, but later the idea of building was upgraded and turned into a closed type prison for recidivists.