Mierové námestie 1 , 019 17, Ilava, Slovakia
Status of Establishment
The facility in Ilava together with the facility in Leopoldov belongs to the oldest in Slovakia. The original gothic castle and later monastery was in the year 1856 redesigned to the countrywide penitentiary for prisoners with the imposed prison sentence more than 10 years. In 1889 it was decided to extend the penitentiary by addition of a new prison building, called solitary confinement. Its construction finished in 1896. At that time, it was possible to place in the facility as much as thousand inmates. After the establishment of the Slovak State (1939 - 1945), Institution for Boys (Correctional educational facility for adolescents) from Košice (Komenského Street) was moved to Ilava facility and a concentration locking camp for opponents of the communist regime and for racially persecuted, especially the Jews and Gypsies was established there. In the years 1939 – 1950, a female prison was established in Ilava as well. Until 1977, a prison hospital was also situated in Ilava and by 1986 the unit for imprisonment of elderly convicts, long term sick convicts and convicts unable to perform any work due to invalidity.