In 1932, the whole judicial complex was put into use that included also the current building of the prison. It was intended for solitary confinement and a part of the cells was set aside for the joint prison sentence execution. The prison fulfilled its mission until 1955, when it was cancelled. In 1968, it was decided to establish a prison here. This aim was implemented in April 1972. Pending completion of the prison in Martin, juveniles from Prešov Prison were placed here. From 1976 to 1990, sentenced prisoners regardless the correctional group served their sentences here. In June 2003, the prison re-profiled again from a prison to a remand prison. The three-storey building was in a short time converted into a complex of cells for 306 pre-trial detainees, 50 sentenced prisoners in the so-called “safe-keeping“ and 35 sentenced prisoners for operation of the prison. In 2007, there was another re-profiling of the prison and it became a combined prison. The prison structure changed in 2010, when on 31 January the pre-trial detention was dissolved here.