|Organisation||General Directorate of the Corps of Prison and Court Guard (SK)|
All establishments for this agency
|Address||Chorvátska 5 , 812 29, Bratislava, Slovakia|
|Status of Establishment||custodial|
The old regional prison from 1884 did not meet the needs of the prison system anymore. The prison was built improperly (on the current Župné Square), gradually disintegrated and it was constantly overcrowded. Therefore in the 20s of the last century it was decided to build in Bratislava also a new prison along the a building for courts (the Palace of Justice). The building of the prison was built in the years 1934 – 1936 for the purpose of pre-trial custody at the back of the Palace of Justice according to the Pennsylvanian-Panoptic model in the shape of a cross. Staircases come from the circular center of the building on all 3 floors, from where the corridors lead to the individual cells. At the time of its put into use (15 January 1937) the capacity was 300 persons. Over the years, the prison premises were gradually reconstructed, modernized and expanded by the new construction. The major changes took place in the 70s – 80s of the 20th century. Prison management moved from the prison building to the new administrative building. The whole site enclosed by additional construction and extensions. New premises for the General Directorate of the Corps were built and social needs of prison officers were solved. Between 1963 – 1969, the prison served also as a correctional institution for juvenile males. For a short time, there was also The Justice – Psychiatric Expertise Department and short-term prison sentences were served here. A complete reconstruction took part in 2015 – 2018 that removed the long-term unfavourable technical conditions of the prison buildings and equipment. Satisfactory operational-technical, dispositional and security conditions were secured for provision of a smooth operation of the whole prison facility. The accommodation and hygienic conditions of inmates improved as well.