History of prisons and prison system in Košice is related with the whole history of the town from the Middle Ages to the present. The city prison was established in the early 17th century, namely in 1618. Historically it is known as Miklušova. The prison was structured efficiently and unlike other facilities of this type, it secured the basic differentiation. It practically worked in its original form for 260 years. In 1872, the construction of a new special-purpose building began for the needs of the newly established judicial institutions, which included also a prison. The building was incorporated into the urban street build-up area and it was put into use in 1878. The prison was built as a two-floor building. Its middle tract connected the regional and city court. Gradually, as the city grew urban, the prison has got into the city center. Over time, its capacity was not sufficient. In the 80s of the last century, the construction of a new prison began on the grounds of the government decision. It was put into use in 1991.