|Organisation||Belgian Prison Service (BE)|
All establishments for this agency
|Address||Thier del Borne , 6870, Saint-Hubert, Belgium|
|Status of Establishment||custodial|
In 1906, a farm was built in order to offer work accommodation to the State charity school, which used to shelter young people placed by the children’s judges in the centre of Saint-Hubert city. In 1933, the farm was sold to the Penitentiary Administration. This Administration first sent there vagrants who were interned in Merksplas and later, in 1942, primary correctional offenders to decrees regarding the supplying of the country. This is how the Penitentiary Farming Centre was created on 1 May 1944, as a half-open institution.After the war, the high number of persons detained in the penitentiary institutions because of offences to the State’s external security compelled the Administration to the use of communal regime institutions for the execution of sentences, in order to make room in the prisons. The prisoners set up a camp that sheltered more than 200 people who collaborated to the creation of the airfield and of a swimming pool, among other things. The camp, which was erected in 1945, was replaced by a hard building (current cellular unit) in 1970.In 1971, the Institution for Social Inadapted People was created on grounds belonging to the APC, in accordance with the application of the linguistic laws of 1963. This institution was thus the counterpart of the Dutch-speaking institution of Wortel.Until 1993, when the law on vagrancy was abolished, the D.C. of Saint-Hubert mainly accommodated vagrants and people sentenced to very short penalties.Nowadays, there are about 235 prisoners and about 30 persons under electronic surveillance who still depend on the institution. The farm remains the historical guideline of the institution, whose half-open regime is characteristic.