Rue de Chantier 1 , 7500, Tournai, Belgium
Status of Establishment
The prison of Tournai was built from 1865 and 1868. Built according to the conceptions of Edouard Ducpétiaux (first General-Inspector of prisons) on the fortification walls erected by Vauban, the prison comprises three wings that radiate from a (star-shaped) centre.The institution accommodated asocial recidivists and women in pretrial detention from the judicial district of Tournai until 1948, when the latter were transferred to the prison of Mons. As the years went by, multiple alteration works were carried out:• building of workshops in the twenties and the thirties; • installation of a new yard in the seventies; • modernization of the old yard in 1989; • building of a new visit complex in 1990; • modernization of wing A in 1995; • complete modernization of wing C in 1999; • building of an entrance complex in 2003; • modernization of wing B in 2007-2009; • building of an advanced medical post in 2008; • fitting out of the far end of wing C (in progress); • demolition of workshops and rebuilding (2011-2013).