The prison of Turnhout was built according to the Ducpétiaux model between 1905 and 1908 and therefore has the shape of a star. In the middle of the cellular part is a centre offering a view of the two large wings that both consist of three open sections. Until 1937, female prisoners were accommodated as well. They resided in the small wing C, which would later house prisoners with a limited detention regime. Because of the structural lack of space and the dated infrastructure, the existing provisions were renovated and the capacity was increased with a new building.In November 2012, the renovated access part was first used and in January 2013, a new wing was opened.