|Organisation||General Directorate of the Corps of Prison and Court Guard (SK)|
All establishments for this agency
|Address||Súdna 15 , 911 96, Trenčín, Slovakia|
|Telephone||+421 32 652 14 38|
|Status of Establishment||custodial|
Prison Hospital Trenčín is situated in the city center, less than a kilometer from the University Hospital and in close proximity of the district court, the police department and the office of the district prosecutor. It occupies the area of 6 937 m2. The basis of the Prison Hospital is an old regional prison from 1912. It served its purpose until 1960. From 1975 to 1977, it was rebuilt into a prison again. Its new mission came in 1977, when after adaptions and installation of the necessary equipment it became a hospital for accused and sentenced persons. Originally there was only one building called „the N building“, where the pre-trial detention for the needs of the District Court in Trenčín and the Higher Military Court in Trenčín, with the capacity of 85 accused was ensured until 1990. In addition to pre-trial detention there was the internal ward, psychiatric ward (with the justice-psychiatric expertise and alcoholism treatment for men) and a rehabilitation ward that provided its services to prisoners from the Czech Republic as well. The presence of medical staff for 24 hours a day instigated the idea to place to Trenčín inmates with disabilities. This idea, as well as the need to expand the hospital spaces contributed to the construction of a new five-storey building called „the F building“. In 1986, 150 sentenced prisoners with health classification “F” were transferred from Ilava prison to this building. In 1987, the TB ward (now Ward of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Illnesses) was opened on the 3rd floor of the building F building. Prison Hospital functioned like this until the division of the federation.