History of this facility started already in 1939 when projects for construction of a new justice building including a new prison started. The justice palace with the prison were put into use in 1942. It was used until 1961 when it was preserved and used as storerooms. In 1969, it was renewed by establishment of the Correctional Institution for Juveniles in Prešov. In 1972, the institution changed to a remand prison. In 1991 the prison gained the land in the residential area Šváby where an open unit for convicts included in the minimum security level was established in 2006 and that functions until now. An important milestone happened in 2004 when premises of the former military prison in Sabinov were transferred to the prison and after its significant reconstruction a prison sentence execution unit as an organizational part of the prison was established here. From 1 January 2012 it is a prison and remand prison.