Geldenaakse Vest 64 , 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Status of Establishment
The plan for the organization of the penitentiary institutions that inspector-general Edouard Ducpétiaux had developed by order of the Belgian government after 1830 planned the construction of a large cellular institution in the centre of the country destined for male prisoners who had to serve long sentences. The city of Leuven had a central location and was easy to reach.The central prison was first occupied on 1 October 1860. During the inter war period, the work houses were added. A large labour strike of the prisoners followed by a strike of the security staff of 1976 could be considered as an important revolution of the regime. The new regime explicitly emphasized two elements: primordial attention for meaningful leisure activities for the prisoners and a gradual implementation of an open regime. After 1976, the cellular complex was renovated. Wing B was thoroughly renovated, while the other wings were refurbished. On 9 July 1996, the central prison was protected as a monument.